In this episode, we get into a discussion between myself and a good friend of mine, Kelvin Tay of Renegade Radio.
Renegade Radio is the premier podcasting network based in Malaysia, creating narratives, building on creative show ideas and much more. As a fellow builder of the Asian podcasting space, I respect him for doing all he can through this company.
Both of us have the same goal: to build the podcasting space around us. I focus on Asia-wide, while Kelvin focuses more on Malaysia. But, we tackle this problem in two different ways: as a solopreneur, and as an entire company.
In this episode, we talked about:
- How Renegade Radio and one of my brands, Podlovers Asia, runs in a growing podcasting space
- Defining engagement, attracting talent, and gatekeepers in an infant-level podcasting space
- Connecting with and getting mentored by Robert Smith, one of the co-founders of Planet Money
- The future of work: remote work, asynchronous communication and mindsets
Kelvin Tay is the Renegade, The Hustler, The Foundation of Malaysian podcasting. He is the AntiFool. Enjoy!
- 3:25 How Renegade Radio is the first independent podcasting network in Malaysia
- 7:24 The red tapes of being part of a company vs. a solopreneur
- 8:32 How you run a podcasting business: case studies, hiring, and more
- 13:52 Scratching your own itch through a business
- 15:19 Communicating with fans, vanity metrics, and engagement being no. 1
- 18:24 Reaching out to Robert Smith, Co-host of Planet Money
- 20:24 Meeting your personal idol
- 22:24 Is there money in a Malaysian podcasting business?
- 26:35 Why it’s hard to tell Malaysians what a podcast is
- 31:03 How changes in the workplace affect Renegade Radio
- 37:51 Asynchronous communication and podcasting
- 42:13 Challenging the micro-management mindset, and the anti work-driven
- 44:34 My personal freelancer hiring process, and addressing the gig economy
- Two Book Nerds Talking
- Epic Arcades
- Cultivating the Masses
- Robert Smith
- Planet Money
- Memory Palace