Welcome to the site! Norm here.
I know it can be a bit overwhelming with all the different kinds of content available here, so why not have a tiny…instruction manual to get through this site 🙂 I encourage you to explore and click around - each click is the turn of a page in your own book/narrative, which makes it much more exciting!
A couple of things:
- If you want to know about me, you can check this link here.
- For a detailed version of how this site works and its rationale, check this link.
How it works
Ever had a site so complicated I need a second page dedicated to explain how it works? 😅
ThatsTheNorm is the World that lives in my brain. Think of it as a web of content spanning different formats and names, like a major brand that holds multiple names under its belt. Kind of like Nestle with Kellogg’s and everything else!
You can think of this website as:
- My [[Body of Work]]. It’s a depository of conversations I’ve had, and a full list of projects covering everything I’ve tried, discovered, failed and more.
- My notes in progress: Most posts you see on this website are incomplete notes. They are made to be refined and form the foundation of my worldview. This means the posts are prone to updates and versions (I’ll note them in), and I emphasize relevance, not publish date (though I’ll keep track of them regardless).
- Frequently Asked Questions (or Frequently Asked Thoughts) in my head: Some posts are short, to answer certain questions and opinions on phrases. Some are longer, commonly-asked questions about my life that I want to be recorded somewhere for others to see. It’s also a good way to direct people to a relevant post if I’ve answered a question before. I can also track where I don’t know, by looking at how little I’ve written on a topic or question. It helps me focus on what to learn!
The end goal is to build my own [[Textbook of the World]] through conversations. An Internet Garden of sorts. I share with you my short notes, scribblings and all kinds of things that help you wander in my domain, as if visiting a bar full of interesting people. There will be imaginary characters, doodles, podcasts, episodes, what have you. But the point is is that every time you go into my website, it's a different experience. It may be relevant to you or not but otherwise the different-ness makes it stick out 😄
To jump from context to context, I’m here to confuse you, and that's part of the fun. My only hope is this: for you to follow the tags, posts, etc. and create your own adventure of my notes!
A quick guide to tags
I live my live in tags, which you can find the full list here. The emojis represent whether they are shows or notes, and the others are fields, categories, and more.
Note: I'm still in the middle of migrating and successfully tagging all of the posts, so some tags may be missing in some of these!
Here are a few format tags to explain what they mean:
- The [[🧠Thoughtmine]] is for everything that is part of the so-called digital garden. (More in detail here.).
- #[[✍Ores]] tag for those unfinished drafts, example atomic notes, frameworks in progress, and more.
- #[[🧱Alloys]] tag for those notes which are relatively stable (though not always accurate, hah)
- #[[⚔Weapons]] and #[[🏹Epic Weapons]] are complete blogposts if we're comparing it to mainstream blogs. Essentially articles, though the epic ones have 2k+ words.
- #[[🦪Piece]] tag for those fictional, imaginative pieces of differing formats. Normally written by [[Cloever]].
There are other tags coming in like #[[🛡Armory]], #[[🏰Castle]], and more, but we'll get to that sometime in the future.
- I provide production, marketing and consulting for companies and individuals who want to make their own interview podcast. You can find out about that at The Podcast Rainmaker
- I also provide coaching for memory and speedreading courses. As a SuperLearner Certified Coach, I'm here to help you transform into a superhuman learning machine 😃You can find the SuperLearner Masterclass right here
Listen to Podcasts
- Interested in conversations about Roam Research? Listen to RoamFM! This show is about conversations with users of the tool Roam Research. It's all about networked thinking, the forefront of many fields, and much more!
- Want to know more about the Asian podcasting scene? Check out Podlovers Asia! I interview contributors to the Asian podcasting scene around the world for their story.
- Eager to learn wisdom from a variety of individuals? Check out AntiFool! I play the fool, I ask them questions, and they share with us the answers. Powerful conversations to transform you.
- If you’re in the mood for fiction, I recommend the Tempered Fables. It’s a short story fiction podcast, narrating you a new story every episode.
- Listen to stories about locations, cultures and people? Ants Under The Sun is dedicated to that. The stories are designed to take you on a journey :).
- How about a quick audioblog show about anything and everything? Check out This is Norm, where I talk to myself for a couple minutes a day!
Read some Articles
- Sandbox: The 6 unspoken rules about life as a Sandcastle
- How to use social media to your advantage in life, business and everything else
- How to face fears, doubts and control the moment
- Motivate Yourself by Capturing the Moment
- How Children Mentor Me: The 6 Ways
- How to develop yourself through your Golden Circles
- The 6 Roles of Silence in Society
- Wants and Needs: How Validation Kills Us
- 9 Ways Time is Your Most Important Currency
- Why being poor is a good lesson for all of us
- How we see good is how we see ourselves
- How to live Now: A Self Letter
- Life needs to be hard before it gets better. This is why
- The difference between good mentors and bad ones
- You are at your ugliest when vulnerable. Here’s why
- How gold and broken pottery teach us about life: Kintsugi
- Put Yourself Above Money: Part 1
- Put Yourself Above Money: Part 2
- Time is Money: Using dollars per hour to waste less time
- The one reason why we want to be rich.
- Why we are slaves to money: 3 reasons
- Why Martin Luther King’s ‘I have a Dream’ Speech is one of the best speeches of all time
- The People Around You Define your Creativity: Midnight In Paris by Woody Allen
- Is Self Expression taught in education? Let’s find out
- Primers: Introduction to how polymaths learn multiple things
- Polymath: The Search For Renaissance Men
- How Polymaths are Designed to Think From Multiple Perspectives
- Polymaths, Specialists and Their Advantages
- What is the role of a narrator in a story or book?
- What you need to know before you start voice acting
- The Reason for my Pen Name, aka. The Narrator of Tempered Fables
- How to use music to tell a story in your creative podcast
Writing & Public Speaking
- The 12 Definitive Rules of Writing and Editing
- Find your voice: How to write like you talk
- The 7 Inner Tools for Effective Public Speaking
- 4 Reasons to Use Questions in Public Speaking
- What is a Keynote Speaker and Why You Need One on Stage
- The 4 Biggest Fears of Public Speaking