In this episode, we’ll be talking with Nathaniel Fetalvero of Tech in Asia!
Nat is the host of Startup Snapshot, a podcast by Tech in Asia, the leading publication covering the Asian tech scene. He is the interviewer, host and orchestrator behind the show, brought it together up to 3 seasons. Now launching a new segment called Deep Dive, Nat shares his experience growing a podcast for the tech audience in Asia. I’ve known him since the Asia Podcast Summit last year so this is more a catch up between the both of us 🙂
We talked about:
- How Startup Snapshot started as an idea in Tech in Asia
- The different barriers in trying to capture a listenership for tech entrepreneurs (Written vs. Audio)
- The sensitivity of scoops that can undermine both a company and publication’s reputation
- Managing the balance between listenership needs, desires, and creating content aligning with Tech in Asia’s mission
A whole variety of things we talked about here, from marketing to guesting, to starting a podcast network…? Enjoy!
- 03:18 The stress behind running Startup Snapshot
- 04:54 Starting with cardboard boxes, and underestimating the format
- 07:29 Tech in Asia’s Unfair Advantage
- 10:59 Why listenership from the website dropped significantly
- 14:02 Tech in Asia’s shownotes strategy, and how profiling helps that
- 20:06 Best time to share content, and why we schedule written vs audio differently
- 24:13 Tech in Asia’s full-stack content marketing strategy for Startup Snapshot and audience adaptation
- 29:35 “People would want to listen to work things over the weekend” readership vs. follower counts in the weekend
- 32:28 Talking about business failure, the publication-business relationship, and the smaller players
- 38:32 “The honesty came through in all the episodes” on PR agencies and sensitive issues
- 49:45 Covering Asia-specific stories: breaking the language barrier
- 52:49 “We want to create a Tech in Asia network for podcasts” Nat shares future plans for podcasting
- 1:01:53 What is on Nat’s podcast playlist?
- 1:10:21 What Nat would like to see more of in the Asian podcasting scene?
Listen to Startup Snapshot on:
- The Weekly Planet
- Hello from the Magic Tavern
- The Daily
- Gimlet’s Startup
- Reply All
- Inside China Tech
- Evolving for the next Billion